Feb 212012
 

The intention had always been to replace the existing wiring loom, which had had its fair share of modifications in the past. Much of the braided covering had either been caked in oil over the years or had disintegrated. As it was to be replaced and to speed up its removal, I had cut the loom where it passes through the bulkhead and removed it in two sections.

Fortunately, at the time of removal, I wasn’t aware that the loom was in fact made up of a number of looms. So the two sections were boxed and not separated into the individual looms. I was thankful of that when I came to deciphering the wiring diagram against the new looms, as I was able to refer back to a complete loom.

I was fairly confident that I wouldn’t have too many problems doing the re-wiring (pride before a fall?). Just in case, I purchased a copy of a wiring diagram produced by Coventry Auto Components which was to supplement the Jaguar service manual diagram. You can never have too much information ….. unless it’s conflicting or incorrect!

Somehow the old loom had turned itself into a right old bird’s nest while in storage. It took quite a while to untangle it so that it could be laid out, mimicking how it is routed within the car. Armed with a multi-meter and the wiring diagrams, I set about the simple task of labelling the new looms …

… four days later the finishing line was in sight. I had printed a large copy of the wiring diagram which was used to track the progress. Wires that had been identified were labelled at both ends indicating what they should be connect to and then highlighted on the diagram as ‘accounted for’.

The wiring convention used by Jaguar employs colour codes to signify the type or purpose of the wire, eg green for a regulated, fused source. Therefore a loom would often have a number of wires of the same colour. Once a wire disappeared beneath the loom’s braided sleeving, it wasn’t always obvious which of the similarly colour wires reappearing was it’s other end! So a multi-meter, set in continuity mode, was extremely handy and took out the guess work.

Other issues that, for now, remain unresolved are i) a missing green & brown wire for the reverse light switch and ii) a spare purple & white wire at the centre of the dash. The E-Type forum is very helpful in cases like this as there’s a wealth of knowledge available from the forum members. I was not alone with both the missing and extra wires as one member had decided to use the spare purple & white wire for the reverse light switch. Perhaps I’ll need to do the same.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.